Neighborhood Tree Stewardship Program
In partnership with the City of Columbus Recreation and Parks, Lisa Bowers (State Forrester for Central Ohio) and Ohio State University Extension we bring the Tree Stewardship program to Columbus. Starting with the Hilltop and Linden Neighborhoods we want to educate and certify volunteers to promote and maintain existing and newly planted trees.
Why Should I Become a Steward?
- Make a positive difference in your community: Trees reduce energy costs, support clean air and water, reduce stress, and are related to increasing home values.
- Tree Stewards promote and care for neighborhood trees to improve the community.
- Learn basic arboriculture skills and to share your skills and passion with others. Increase public awareness through community education, planning and planting for the future. Provide maintenance and care for young trees in public places.
- Volunteering as a Tree Steward is rewarding, fun, and a wonderful way to serve the Hilltop community and your neighbors. Get invitations to special events and recognition programs
What Will I Do as a Tree Steward?
- Obtain Tree Steward Certification Training
- Learn all about trees, how to plant and care for those in your community
- Help organize volunteers for a tree activity (planting, mulching, watering, pruning, etc.) on Earth Day and throughout the year
- Contribute to beautify the neighborhood with increasing a healthy and beautiful street and backyard tree canopy
- Meet other Tree Stewards and citizens who care about your neighborhood and trees
- Commit to 20 hours of volunteering in the first year
How Can I Become A Tree Steward?
- Attend the classroom training session on September 9th from 9am- 4pm.
- Location: Hilltop Library, 511 S. Hague Ave, Columbus OH, 43204
- Attend the field training workshops
- Tree pruning class on September 16th at the Municipal Tree Nursery (Transportation will be provided)
- Tree planting event (in October)
- Have an interest in trees and a desire to make a difference in your neighborhood
- Ability to do moderate physical work
Sign up below. Breakfast and Lunch will be provided.
Sign up sheet